Flatbread is a type of thick bread prepared with a yeast dough recipe and traditionally baked on a sheet metal. Dough meringues, which are shaped by hand after fermenting and resting for a long time, are now cooked on the stove. If you think you should prepare a breakfast table with flatbread and butter on the weekend, come on, let’s go to the kitchen to prepare full-sized flatbreads! Here is a delicious flatbread recipe that will create feasts on the palate with its soft consistency!
If you wish, you can store the remaining part in the freezer after cooking, take it out whenever you want and heat it and consume it with pleasure.
Ingredients for HOMEMADE FLATBREAD RECIPE
- 3-4 cups of flour
- 1/2 (half) packet of fresh yeast or 1.5 teaspoons of instant yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- 2 glasses of warm water (can be adjusted)
HOMEMADE FLATBREAD RECIPE Preparation
- I used fresh yeast. First, the fresh yeast is mixed with sugar and dissolved in warm water.
- Then the yeast mixture is added to the flour.
- Salt is added.
- Slowly add warm water and start kneading.
- After kneading it well, it is covered with a clean cloth and left in a warm place.
- The dough will rise 1-2 times in an hour.
- Orange-sized pieces are cut from the dough.
- Flour the surface lightly and start rolling the pieces with a rolled.
- It should be opened slightly thicker than half a cm.
Tip-1: It would be better if you open it manually when opening.
All opened flatbreads are covered with a tablecloth and left for some time to rise
Tip-2: If you are going to make a lot of flatbread, open the first orange sized piece and let it rise, then do not open the other pieces and cover them. Because a large place is required to open them all and put them one by one and leaven. There’s no need for that. You can open the second piece while you take the first piece to the stove and cook it. Other meringues will continue to ferment while they are covered.
The opened flatbread is taken to a lightly heated oil-free pan. It is turned immediately after 1-2 minutes before the bottom is fully cooked. In the same way, it is turned again after 1-2 minutes.
Tip-3: The reason why we keep turning it upside down is while the flatbread is cooking, we turn it for 1-2 minutes so that it swells well. Do not forget that the flatbread begins to rise when it is taken to the stove and the cooking process begins.
Flatbreads that rise and brown on both sides are taken from the stove.
You can consume the soft hot flatbreads by adding butter and cheese if you wish.
How many calories is flatbread?
One serving of flatbread (50 grams) is approximately 177 calories. It contains 36.97 grams of carbohydrates, 5.01 grams of protein and 0.47 grams of fat. Since it is a high-carb food, it is recommended to consume with portion control.
HOMEMADE FLATBREAD RECIPE WITHOUT YEAST
Ingredients for HOMEMADE FLATBREAD WITHOUT YEAST RECIPE:
- 1 teaspoon of yogurt
- 1 glass of water
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 cups flour (may decrease or increase slightly)
- pinch of salt
To top it off:
HOMEMADE FLATBREAD RECIPE WITHOUT YEAST Preparation
- Mix the yogurt and water in a mixing bowl. Add 1 cup of flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt and mix well.
- Add the remaining flour in a glass and start kneading.
- Continue kneading, adding flour little by little until you get a coarse and non-sticky dough.
- Cover the dough with a cloth and let it rest for 10-15 minutes.
- Roll the rested dough on the floured counter and divide it into 12 pieces with the help of a dough cutter or knife.
- Open each dough slightly on the floured counter.
- Cook in a pan without oil until both sides are browned and puffed up.
- Take the cooked flatbreads on a plate and grease them front and back with butter.
- Cover them so they get soft. Serve warm or hot.
HOMEMADE FLATBREAD RECIPE WITH CHEDDAR CHEESE
Ingredients for HOMEMADE FLATBREAD WITH CHEDDAR CHEESE RECIPE:
For the dough:
- 1 cup of warm milk
- 1 tea glass of oil (small standard tea glass)
- Half a pack of fresh yeast (or dry yeast)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Flour as much as it takes (add up to half a kilo of controlled)
- Grated cheddar cheese
HOMEMADE FLATBREAD RECIPE WITH CHEDDAR CHEESE Preparation
- Mix the milk, yeast and sugar until the yeast dissolves.
- Add oil and knead a soft dough that does not stick to the hand with as much flour as it takes. Add the salt with the flour.
- Let rise in a warm environment until it has doubled in size.
- Make 5 meringues from the fermented dough, roll them out with your hands and add grated cheddar cheese.
- Close it and open it again.
- Cook on both sides in a non-oiled, non-stick pan on low heat in the middle of your stove. If you put a lid on it, it will rise better.
- Your soft flatbread is ready.
A bit of history of flatbreads…
Flatbreads- round like the sun, they are the first bread that people have learned to bake. It is impossible to establish the homeland of the flatbread. They appeared in many parts of the world, probably plus or minus almost simultaneously. Subsequently, almost everywhere they were reborn into various types of national bread. However, the East and South America have remained virtually unchanged since the earliest times.
It is believed that the first bread cake was born … from soup. The fact is that initially a thick, viscous mass was cooked from grated cereals – something between soup and porridge. Well, and, as usual, someone somehow spilled a part of the stew on the stones in the hearth glowing with fire.
The second important milestone in the history of flatbread takes us to Ancient Egypt. Another oversight – this time a culinary slave who left a cake blank in the hot sun. The dough turned sour, but the slave, frightened by the prospect of punishment, still baked bread. And unexpectedly, the cake turned out to be more magnificent, softer and tastier than the usual unleavened one. So, people got the recipe for yeast baked goods.
Now let’s go on a culinary journey and get acquainted with the most famous tortillas in the world.
Tortilla is the national bread of the Indians of Mexico. At first, it was made exclusively from cornmeal. Wheat tortilla appeared much later. It is baked over an open fire in a special clay pan – komal.
Tortillas are literally multifunctional:
– First, of course, they are bread.
– Secondly, the basis for culinary experimentation. Mexican chefs wrap all kinds of fillings in tortilla. Depending on the filling and the way the cake is folded, you can try quesadilla – the filling is placed in a tortilla folded in half, which is cut into three or four parts; burrito – a tortilla with a filling is rolled up like a roll; enchilados – similar to burritos but fried in a pan; nachos is a cheese snack served with tortilla chips.
– Thirdly, a tortilla replaces a fork and a knife: it is very convenient to use a piece of tortilla to collect sauce or hold a piece of chicken or meat.
– Fourthly, it can be used instead of a plate. Put vegetables, meat or other foods on it and eat.
Bannock is also a flatbread invented by the Indians, but this time by the North American ones. The second name is fried bread. Since 2005, it has been the official bread of the state of South Dakota. A yeast dough flatbread is fried in a large amount of oil. The dish is far from the standards of a healthy lifestyle: there are about 700 kcal in one serving.
Then everything is very similar to a Mexican tortilla – it is used as a basis for all kinds of fillings. There is also such a famous dish as “elephant ear” with a bannock. Not a single elephant suffers – all that is required is a cake and honey or powdered sugar. Spread on the first or sprinkle on the second – and the uncomplicated dessert is ready.
The spicy cuisine of India requires a bland contrast to balance not only the inner passions, but also the gastronomic fires. Naan breads do this. They are quite plump, especially if the dough is not prepared with water, but with milk or yogurt. They are baked in a tandoor. They are served with appetizers and soups or just tea. In the wake of the fashion for Italian food, Indian chefs have offered pizza lovers a version of “Naan”, where the classic pizza base is replaced by a flatbread.
Chapatis, also known as roti, are made from atta flour. She has a yellowish color, as wheat grains are ground together with the shell. No salt is added to the dough – only atta and water. A very healthy type of bread. They are rolled into the thinnest layer and quickly fried in a pan or in a tandoor. Traditionally served with curries or vegetable dishes.
Although the tandoor is very popular in Asian countries, flatbreads are baked not only in it. For example, the shelpek is fried in a cauldron in deep-fried oil or lard. Kazakhs prepared shelpeks to appease the spirits of their ancestors. The spirits, attracted by the scent of bread, were supposed to show goodness and help their descendants in their everyday affairs. Before starting to eat the Shelpak, remembering the ritual significance of the flatbread, the Kazakh says now: “Let the spirits of the ancestors get it.”
Pita is a favorite flatbread of the peoples of the Middle East and the Mediterranean, its diameter is 15-20 cm. A distinctive feature of pita is a pocket hidden inside the flatbread. This void is formed when bread is baked. It is fried in an oven at high temperatures. The tortilla should be thick enough to generate moist steam while baking. It is he who exfoliates the dough, and a cavity form in it. It is indispensable for stuffing pita with vegetables, salad, shawarma or falafel.